73% of Workplaces Prohibit Social Media Use

Posted on7 CommentsCategoriesGeneral Discussion, Online Marketing, Thoughts for Affiliates

…unless it benefits the work process.

Robert Half Technology has recently published some interesting data on the approach of U.S. workplaces to their employees’ use of Social Media while at work. Having surveyed over 1,400 chief information officers from companies with 100 or more employees across the United States, Robert Half has found out that 54% of U.S. workplaces prohibit Facebook and Twitter access completely, while 19% permit it “for business purposes only”. That makes up a total of 73% workplaces that stand against the use of Social Media at work for personal purposes [source].

Here’s the exact breakdown in a pie chart:

Which of the following most closely describes your company’s
policy on visiting social networking sites?

Social media sites prohibited at work

Social Media access for personal use naturally encompasses everything that is connected with online shopping. So, the above statistics is definitely something for Social Media affiliates to keep in mind, and adjust their strategies accordingly (practice dayparting tying it to the geographic locations of their potential consumers).

7 thoughts on “73% of Workplaces Prohibit Social Media Use

  1. I think social media access at work can be extremely beneficial if the person is in certain fields (such as marketing and sales) and if they use it right. On the other hand, I do understand how companies want to control social media access because some people are definitely wasting their time on them all day long!

  2. Considering the huge success brands big and small are having with social media, I’m surprised other businesses aren’t more open to allowing social media. Having brand advocates and positive team members out in the online community will only help spread the word about the company.

  3. Ayako, Dina, I agree. Social media can be an excellent branding tool. On the other hand, it can also be tremendously distracting and destructive to the work process (people tweeting, or watching videos, instead of preparing reports). That’s how I read the above stats.

  4. On one hand social media should be embraced as a potentially explosive marketing tool.

    On the other hand, do employees really need another excuse to goof off?

    Twitter breaks are replacing smoke breaks

  5. To decide if employees should use social media such as Twitter while in the workplace, during work hours, must be quite a difficult decision for many employers. While using a type of Social Media such as Twitter could very well be very beneficial as a branding / marketing tool, it could also be unbeneficial in that it could be a great time waster. I believe it would depend on each particular employee who was using the Social Media. For example, you could have an employee who used Twitter responsibly and within proper limits, and another who chose to take advantage of the boss and tweet all day because he wanted to. And you could have another type who was merely addicted and couldn’t stop even if he wanted to. It would be difficult for the employer to allow the first tweeter to continue tweeting while asking the second two to stop. That is perhaps one of the reasons many employers have an across the board “no Social Media policy” — because there are some that are out of control and take advantage.

    Krissy Knox 🙂
    connect with me on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/iamkrissy

  6. And I agree with you Krissy. It’s a difficult subject to tackle in the workplaces, but knowing how addictive it is, I don’t blame those employers that decide to prohibit its use altogether.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *