Yesterday, on February 16, ValueClick, Inc. (VCLK) — the owner of Commission Junction affiliate network, Shopping.net, PriceRunner, and MeziMedia which operates Smarter.com and CouponMountain.com — has made their full 2009 fiscal data available to the public.
In the fourth quarter of 2009, revenue in the Media, Affiliate Marketing and Technology segments exceeded the Company’s expectations, and all four business segments exceeded the Company’s expectations for operating income.
Here are the general revenue/expenditures breakdowns (rounded up to the nearest thousand) for affiliate marketing specifically:
- Revenue total – $111,903,000
- Cost of revenue – $15,617,000
- Gross profit – $96,286,000
- Operating expenses – $38,165,000
- Segment income – $58,121,000
Year 2008 (for contrast and comparison)
- Revenue total – $121,972,000
- Cost of revenue – $19,374,000
- Gross profit – $102,598,000
- Operating expenses – $43,143,000
- Segment income – $59,455,000
The report does not provide any information (or narrower breakdowns) on whether this includes only Commission Junction, or also the affiliate websites that ValueClick itself owns (e.g. CouponMountain.com, Smarter.com, etc).