Largely due to the current economic climate, and partly because of the very psychology of humans, coupon websites (majority of them – affiliates) are rapidly multiplying — new ones springing up every week. But how could a new coupon website stand out?
First, let’s look at the commonalities of coupon affiliates. Most do everything that they can to feature as many coupons as possible. With the array of offers they have to present to the end user, they have to make it convenient to shop. So they play with the navigation. Most coupon websites group offers by verticals, holidays/events, and alphabetically by merchant name. Many also split the offers by type, grouping them into coupons, free shipping offers, discounts, freebies, and even printable coupons.
But here is a list of 7 other things you can do to stand out:
- List most popular coupons (by conversion, or by a combination of CTR and conversion)
- Display top 10, 25, 50 (pick your number) brands or products (across different merchants, or by vertical)
- Group merchants by payment methods
- Add video reviews of the products you list
- Give extra exposure to merchants with affordable international shipping by putting them into an additional category
- Incorporate an interaction element into your coupon/deals website (in form of a forum, or an option for customers to post/share coupons)
- Since most merchants are happy to offer you exclusive coupons, why not also play with an idea of A Deal A Day type website, and offer the hottest possible deals you can obtain (a new one every day), encouraging merchants to participate by offering aggressive discounts through you.
Use your imagination. Play with things! The good ole “think outside the box” advice applies here as it does in any other affiliate marketing initiative. And keep the ultimate driving force in mind — that of customer engagement through adding value, convenience, and providing one-of-a-kind online experience.